Several X applications refuse to start

Hello,

asking Google for this problem just leaded to hints of some
broken X resources but I have no real clue what might have caused
the failure of at least three important applications which I'm
running on a laptop with an up to date testing.  I never faced
similar problems with three other machines running more or less
the same stuff.

$ emacs
X protocol error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) on protocol request 45
Fatal error (6).

$ xdvi
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Value in failed request:  0x1c00002
  Serial number of failed request:  20

$ gv
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

The problem is that this Laptop is the machine I installed most recently
and I want to share this obervations with other developers just to prevent
that something goes really wrong in Sarge ...

So the question is, which information do I have to provide to track down
this problem.

Kind regards

         Andreas.