Re: Does the Debian gpg key infrastructure support multiple sub-keys?

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Rob Browning wrote:
> If I added a new sign/encrypt sub-key to my Debian key, would I be
> able to use that to sign and upload packages?  Would the Debian

Yes, mostly.  Some stuff (db.d.o and vote.d.o come to mind, but I am not
sure about that) require you to always sign using the master key.  gpg lets
you do that, so it is not a problem.  The archive tools don't care and will
use subkeys happly, as they should (either that, or debsign is being quite
ingenuous and telling gpg to always use the master key :-) thus I never
noticed any problems).

> keyserver and the Debian upload infrastructure be able to handle it?

Yes, without any problems.

> If not, would I at least be able to add the sub-key for non-Debian
> uses without causing trouble with the Debian infrastructure?

The subkeys cause no problems in Debian.  But make sure to never let the
master key expire, and to upload a new subkey to keyring.d.o a few _months_
before all of your subkeys expire...

  Henrique Holschuh