Re: an idea for next generation APT archive caching

* Eduard Bloch [Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:12:42 +0200]:

> And though I like apt-cacher in general (it worked immediately while I
> did not manage to make apt-proxy work within 15 minutes and dropped the
> crap), this is the only method I do not like at all.
> It could be done better. I suggest you switch from wget to curl and use
> If-Modified-Since calls to update the Package/Source/Release file only
> when needed. And only when the local copy of them has changed (and the
> update was clean), then the deb files should be purged (when the next
> cleanup cycle comes). You could even check for index file updates based
> on time periods instead of triggering it by the user. Actually, it could
> be a cron-job that downloads them to /dev/null.

> Further, I wish there could be pre-caching. Means: if a file was
> downloaded and that file was mentioned in packages-file A and after the
> next update, A has a newer version of this package than the package
> could be downloaded. This would be an optional feature, of course, but
> it could be implemented without millions LOC.

  well, that would change apt-cacher from a from a simple webserver
  script to a daemon-via-cron application.

  what problems does it have a cron.daily script that runs like:

    apt-get -qq update && apt-get -qqdy dist-upgrade

  ?

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

When all is summed up, a man never speaks of himself without loss; his
accusations of himself are always believed; his praises never.
                -- Michel de Montaigne