Re: Reproducible, precompiled .o files: what say policy+gpl?

I am not subscribed to debian-legal.

Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 06:28:01PM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> > Note the exact words (I am assuming that Glenn copied them verbatim):
> > the package in main must be buildable with tools in main
>
> Exact words are:
>
>      In addition, the packages in _main_
>         * must not require a package outside of _main_ for compilation or
>           execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
>           "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-_main_
>           package),

Right, I don't see where a build-depends on icc would be required in
this case. Now, how the maintainer is going to get it to build with icc
if available and without if not available, I'm not too certain about
(mind you, the presuposes that he were still going with the icc-built-
in-main). Unless he was going to use a non-standard build environment
(eg: setting an environment variable).

> If you build with different tools, you have a different package.  "X
> built with gcc" and "X built with icc" are very different things (just
> as "X" and "X with x.patch and x2.patch applied" are different things).

I see your point, but I disagree entirely. If I build openssh on Solaris
with gcc, or if I use Solaris' SUNWspro, is it a different openssh? Not
at all. The source is still the same. The only exception I will grant
you is code that determines the compiler being used and changes its
actual functionality (not work around bugs or other compiler features).

This is far different from applying patches to the source.

If what you say is true, then using gcc-3.3 would produce a different
package than from gcc-3.2. I think few people would agree with you,
modulo bugs in the code/compiler/bugs/feature-set.

> > This package is buildable by tools in main. It meets the letter of the
> > law. The spirit seems a bit ambiguous.
>
> I hope we all agree that the spirit is what matters; people who ignore
> the spirit and word-lawyer the letter are people to ignore.

Absolutely.

Only lawyers and their ilk spend a lot of time with letter vs spirit :)

--
John H. Robinson, IV          jaqque@debian.org
                                                                 http  ((((