Re: Reproducible, precompiled .o files: what say policy+gpl?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 02:49:09AM +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> I suggest you try:
> dd if=/dev/urandom of=testing bs=16 count=1048576
> split -a 3 -b 1024 testing testing.part.
> find -name testing.part.\* -print0 | xargs -0 parchive a -n 16384 testing.par

You're splitting into parts which are far too small.  Typically, a file is
split into 20-50 parts, with 5 or 6 PARs for the set (acting as wildcards),
but you can easily create 50 PARs and say "collect any 25".  It's not
designed for thousands of tiny parts; if people want to distribute
thousands of files, they typically archive them up first, and split the
archive.  Most PAR operations are IO-bound (judging by drive thrashing,
not from actual benchmarks).

> Perhaps I should make my program 'par' command-line compatible!
> OTOH, when you have so many small files it is not convenient.

I don't really understand the use of allowing thousands of tiny parts.
What's the intended end use?

--
Glenn Maynard