Re: Debian m17n method under X with UTF-8

On Saturday 16 October 2004 07:34, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> How are you making Debian into UTF-8 and multilingual/multi-locale
> system while switching between normal gnome and Xfce? So far, I did
> not find this trivial.

Well, in my case, I found SCIM to be the best solution. I don't need to
care about locales any more, because SCIM doesn't care about locales,
as long as you use any UTF-8 locale as default. I just switch on SCIM
which input method I prefer and can insert CJK into any UTF-8 aware
application. The locale setting only refers to which language I want to
have to display the windowmanager and system messages.
GTK2 apps and mozilla, ooo etc. need to have LC_CTYPE to be set to any
CJK UTF-8 locale to accept SCIM input.
If you want to try SCIM, compile it from source
(www.freedesktop.org/Software/scim/), the debian packages don't work
for me.

So, as I prefer my system to be in english, I use en_US.UTF-8 as main
locale and zh_TW.UTF-8 as LC_CTYPE. XMODIFIERS has to be set to
@im=SCIM.

The SCIM approach is in my opinion the only useful one, since the locale
should only reflect which language you prefer and in which country you
are. It should have nothing to do with input methods, as long as your
system is UTF-8.

Just my 2 conts.

Cheers
Arne
--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <20030910antispam@gmx.net>
(Spam catcher.  Address might change in future!)