Re: Spam, ASNs, CIDRs, and d-u (was Re: spam from chinanet)

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 17:17, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I've been working with ASN and CIDR data associated with spam
> received via my ISP account.  While the specific findings I've got
> may be interesting, the methods are of more general use.
>
> Short answer:  you can classify incoming mail using its IP into its
> network of origin, with a DNS query.

[snipped a lot of interesting stuff]

may I ask you if you can provide a simple way of looking up the legal
mailservers of those networks and put them on a whitelist? I surely
only want to block dialup / DSL / Cable accounts of homeusers with bot
infected Windoze machines, but allow regular users who use the
companies' legal mailservers. If you would block / filter whole
networks without those whitelist, you would block more legal users than
you want. The top asian networks on your list are those providers with
the vast majority of users here in Asia. I'm very aware of the fact
that they don't give a shit about spammers. But batting off whole
provider networks without letting the legal mailservers pass is IMHO
not The Right Way (TM). And those providers' networks are huge, simply
because they are the biggest providers in Asia. And they have multiple
hundred legal mailservers scattered across the subnets.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
Arne
--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <20030910antispam@gmx.net>
(Spam catcher.  Address might change in future!)