Re: Updated: XDM, GDM, KDM, WDM shootout :-)

On Monday 27 September 2004 03:55, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>     This start up script concern is basically for CJK user.  No
> wonder others do not feel so bothered and no comments made on this
> most important thing.
>     Here, I repeat that ~/.xsession does not give solution to my
> problem since I can not choose WM from menu.  So far my local
> solution of ~/.i18n hook script seems to be the only usable one:

[snip]

well, I'm also a CJK (at least C and J) user... :) This is my script:
$ cat /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xfree86-common_xim
-------------------------------------
SYSMODMAP="/etc/X11/Xmodmap"
USRMODMAP="$HOME/.Xmodmap"

if [ -f "$SYSMODMAP" ]; then
   xmodmap "$SYSMODMAP
fi

if [ -f "$USRMODMAP" ]; then
   xmodmap "$USRMODMAP"
fi

export XMODIFIERS=@im=xcin

/usr/local/bin/xcin -x xcin &
/usr/bin/X11/kinput2 -canna &
/usr/bin/chinput &

---------------------------------------

This will load my custom xmodmap file, which is US-layout plus some
european chars (mainly german umlauts and Euro sign),
then it starts the XIMs for traditional chinese, japanese and simplefied
chinese in the background.

The system locale is set to en_US.UTF-8 bt default, LC_CTYPE is set to
zh_TW.UTF-8 by default.

So, traditional chinese is the default input method for me.

Then I have mlterm installed and three links on my desktop:

'Japanese Term' executes:
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS=@im=kinput2 mlterm

'S-Chinese Term' executes:
LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS=@im=Chinput mlterm

'T-Chinese Term' executes:
LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS=@im=xcin mlterm

This way, when I need simplefied chinese or japanese, I just open a
terminal and start my application from there.

This could of course also be extended to support Korean.

BTW: I use a self compiled version (cvs) of xcin, as the default xcin
package in Debian does not support UTF-8. The cvs version does
(together with the cvs version of libtabe), but only for traditional
chinese.

Cheers
Arne
--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <20030910antispam@gmx.net>
(Spam catcher.  Address might change in future!)