Re: spam from chinanet

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 12:22:54PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

also sprach Cameron Patrick <cameron@patrick.wattle.id.au> [2004.09.15.1220 +0200]:

Why?  If their ISP mail relays are run as badly as some of the
ones here in WA seem to be, you will be making people choose
between having their mail delayed for hours (or even days) at
times due to overloaded ISP mail servers[1]; or being blocked from
mailing debian.org.

So why do you subscribe to the services of an incompetent ISP?

Because sometimes you don't have a choice.

* The incompetent ISP could be the only affordable option.
* Your incompetent boss may have made a horrible decision.
* The incompetent ISP could be a monopoly, *forcing* you to use them.

Blocking people because of their ISP is silly.

But if the benefice/cost is big I find really no problems.
If there is a loooooots of spam from one ISP and
no or few potential users, I don't see problems.
If they need to email us, they can still use gmx, yahoo, gmail,...
and then in a secundary moment we remove the block

ciao
	cate