Re: Use of automake & friends vs. just running configure

I demand that Marcelo E. Magallon may or may not have written...

> On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 01:17:41AM +0200, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona wrote:
>> So, any comment / recommendation? Better to use the whole toolchain, or
>> better to use upstream configure, when available?

> If you can avoid running auto*, please do.

> If you *have* to patch a Makefile or configure script, then by all means,
> do it.  But please please pretty please, remove the cruft that gets
> generated.  That means nuke configure, Makefile.in, Makefile and other
> stuff on clean. That only makes the diff bigger and noisy and imposible to
> apply cleanly to newer upstream versions [...]

If you're using something like dpatch, I suggest that you use a patch file
specifically for this kind of thing - and make sure that it's applied last.
That way, I find, it's nicely manageable.

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt   | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| woody, sarge, | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| RISC OS       | Toon Army      | demon co uk
|   Retrocomputing: a PC card in a Risc PC

You've got my dried frog pills and I want them back.