Re: Environment variables for Debian - XIM server and XMODIFIERS case

2004-09-02, 17:49 -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

>   http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.9
>
> I'll summarize: Debian does not need a mechanism for packages to set
> system-wide environment variables, because Debian packages are not
> allowed to rely on environment variables at all.
>
> Anything that requires users to set environment variables on other
> systems should be packaged with a wrapper script or similar mechanism,
> in Debian, so that the variables do not need to be set explicitly in
> the user's session.

Some offtopic: could anyone tell whether the following environment variable
dependency is a policy violation?  If yes, what's the way to resolve it?

To use XIM (X input method) server, users should set XMODIFIERS
environment variable.  For example, to use my package "nabi", users
should set like 'XMODIFIERS="@im=nabi"'.   The problem is,
XMODIFIERS variable is not required for "nabi" program itself, but
for the X client programs which are expected to connect to the "nabi".
In short:

1. environment variable should be set in *other* programs to use an XIM
server.
2. there's no other way to specify XIM server.

(I think all XIM servers depend on XMODIFIERS environment variable
settings
by users.)

--
Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@debian.org>