Re: Buildds slow/unuseable -> drop that arch

On 2004-09-02 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Or another one. Do you know any DD owning a s390?

> These are very easy to emulate, what is a major pain is to pay for the VM
> software.  And the emulation is actually really fast in a good host machine
> (i.e. anything that qualifies as a very fast desktop nowadays), I'm told.

> Maybe one can run an emulator without any IBM software whatsoever, which
> would make it rather easy to have s390 buildds.

You can run Debian on hercules, and afaict there is non-free software
involved.

However "really fast" is not a term I'd choose to apply. At least for
me running stuff on Debian running on the hercules emulator is about a
100 times slower than the host:

ametzler@herc:~$ grep bogomips /proc/cpuinfo
bogomips per cpu: 86.63
ametzler@raptor:~$ grep bogomips /proc/cpuinfo
bogomips per cpu: 819.20
ametzler@downhill:~$ time { echo '6666^6666' | bc > /dev/null ; }
real    0m0.341s
user    0m0.337s
sys     0m0.002s
ametzler@herc:~$ time { echo '6666^6666' | bc > /dev/null ; }
real    0m36.608s
user    0m36.350s
sys     0m0.260s
(herc=hercules emu, downhill=host system, raptor=debian developer
machine, so I am really comparing bogomips of two s30 hosts.)

I am aware that that this is no real life benchmark, but I've built
(rather small) stuff on hercules, it really brings my machine down to
the speed of m68k. - If I had a really fast desktop system (3GHz AMD64
instead of a Duron 1200) it would probably equal a real fast m68k,
like a4000t.
                cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"