hacking a d-i sarge iso

Hi guys, I'm asking this over here b/c I got no response from the
debian-boot list. I downloaded a sarge-net-iso a couple days ago and I was wanting to change the kernel to 2.6.8.1-mm2 so I could make my root fs reiser4. I've got this doc to go on which is also in the
debian-installer source:

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/svn/debian-installer/installer/doc/custom-kernel.txt

I get lost between step 1 and 2. I made a kernel deb with make-kpkg. The doc refers to a package called "linux-kenerl-di-i386". I think maybe it's referring to udebs but I have no idea how to configure this in my sources.list or how to handle these.

Is there any documentation on udebs anywhere? I couldn't find any on the website.