Re: PROPOSAL - REFORMULATED - Create alternative Packages files for each section

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 09:33:01AM +1000, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> was heard to say:
> 1) The ftp-master scripts include in each sectional Packages file all
> dependent packages.
>
> This sucks because it is massive redundancy, but does at least leave the
> user with no broken dependencies.  I would also imagine that no single
> Packages file is going to be less than about a quarter the size of the
> current one this way, because we tend to have very incestuous dependency
> paths, especially once you include Recommends: and Suggests:.  I think you'd
> have to include at least Recommends: to ensure that things like aptitude
> continued to work correctly.

  If your package set isn't closed under Recommends, aptitude will
continue to work just fine -- but it won't install the missing
Recommended packages, so anything that requires them probably won't work :).

  Daniel

|         "Note that fires are not restricted to dormitories.                 |
|          Indeed, fire can occur in off-campus residences as well."          |
|           -- Brown University Fire Safety Guide                             |
\---- Be like the kid in the movie!  Play chess! -- http://www.uschess.org ---/