Re: NX packages [and looking for a sponsor]

Peter Rockai (mornfall) wrote:

On Monday 23 August 2004 09:51, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Peter Rockai (mornfall) wrote:
I was asked to write to this list, because supposedly someone of the
Skolelinux crew is working on NX packaging. So i would like to point you
at the ITP filed on nx (#255850) and the packages available in the
repository:

deb http://www.kalyxo.org/debian/ experimental main
deb-src http://www.kalyxo.org/debian/ experimental main

You can of course get the source as well. The packages were done in an
FHS compliant way and were tested on several machines. They however
contain no nxserver or nxclient as of now, but i'll be working with
Fabian Franz and Joseph Wenninger on integrating FreeNX and kNX stuff
with them. I'll send an update when there's something new.
Many thanks for this information.  I also think that this while very
interesting for debian-edu in special also an issue on debian-devel.  BTW,
the URL above contains more interesting packages.  Do you have trouble
finding a sponsor for these packages or are there other reasons why they
stay outside Debian? I would really hate if finding a sponsor would holding
back NX from entering Debian.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to think
about moving the existing packages to debian experimental.  This would have
the following advantages:

  1) Sponsoring procedure would be established.
  2) Packages would enter the override file which needs about 1-2 weeks
for new packages
  3) Would attract more developers to help
Thinking of this, i think i am prepared to take this next step (upload to debian experimental). This means i'm now looking for a sponsor. Please do not upload the current version, i'm working on an update, which will also contain nxviewer and nxdesktop, which means 2 new packages and i'll probably move tunnel scripts into an own source package.

As for the GPL nxserver (freenx) and nxclient (knx) components, if everything goes well, i should have the packages ready and publishable this week. They will be in separate source packages, too.
As I promised to Fabian I'm willing to help, so I have you have something to upload I will review the packages and if they are fine I'm happy to sponsor them.

Feel free to contact me via mail if you are ready to get sponsored.

Sincerly
Alex

--

Alexander "formorer" Wirt	KeyID: BC7D020A
EMail: formorer@debian.org	ICQ: 28651245