Re: Bad mozilla/Xprint interactions on Debian homepage: decisions needed

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:08:08 +1000, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> said:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 07:50:56PM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 09:08:21AM +1000, Parsons, Drew wrote:
>> > I've been waiting 10 months for IT to open the ssh port through
>> > the firewall, otherwise I'd have done this.  I don't have heaps
>> > of faith in our IT, they've placed a deliberate policy preventing
>> > any mail client other than MS Access from sending mail outside.
>> > Hence this problem.
>>
>> <shrug> I don't have any heaps of faith in someone who thinks
>> Access is a MUA, either.
>>
>> BTW, a signature delimiter is "-- " (note the space).

> Actually, it's "--
> ", but who's counting.

        Umm, not quite. According to you, this is a valid delimiter:"--
", but it isn't really. There are few authoritative references to what
a signature delimiter should be, but the best is probably the
son-of-1036[0], which states:

        If a poster or posting agent does append a signature to an
        article, the signature SHOULD be preceded with a delimiter
        line containing (only) two hyphens (ASCII 45) followed by one
        blank (ASCII 32).

        The Good Net-Keeping Seal of Approval[1] also refers to the
 son-of-1036.

        The critical part you are missing in your definition is that
 the delimiter must appear on a line all by itself. If you want to be
 pedantic, at least try to be correct.

        manoj

[0] http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/outerspace/netnews/son-of-1036.html
[1] http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/software/good-netkeeping-seal/
--
Not drinking, chasing women, or doing drugs won't make you live longer
-- it just seems that way.