Re: cross compile packages

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 03:44:47PM -0700, Oliver Kurth wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 15:04, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>
> > Cross-compilers do not really work in practice. They're only useful
> > for bootstrapping.
>
> I also built quite a few ppc debs using cross compilers. The only thing
> that often hinders cross compiling is carelessness by maintainers in
> configure scripts - often fixing this is trivial (but patches are often
> ignored).

Yep, x-compiling works - in theory - but not all upstream sources can
be safely x-compiled, that's the problem. It could introduce subdle
bugs (endianess, platform checks, ecc.) which embedded folks debug
accurately on target. The point in fact is having all the process
automatically done, and that's the weakness.

We could introduce a x-compiling buildd and require hand-checking
in order to refine upstream sources, but the work is big and
debugging not always simple.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine