Re: conflicting bug reports

Hi, Stephen Frost wrote:

> * Josselin Mouette (joss@debian.org) wrote:
>> That would be great, but would also make static builds fail.
>
> I don't believe we should, or intend to, support static builds directly
> in our dependency system anyway.  Is it really very difficult to get
> libtool to do a static build w/o the .la files?  If you know the
> libraries you need I'd expect you could just tell libtool about them.

The whole point of the .la files is to encapsulate the "which libraries do
I need to link this" knowledge so that linking with that library, either
statically or dynamically, works without requiring the application's
Makefile to know the library's dependencies.

That kind of external knowledge _is_ unnecessary for correctly-linked(!!)
ELF shared libraries. Libtool doesn't yet know that, however; it was
written for systems which can't do this.

Best solution, IMHO: Add an option to libtool to disregard .la files.
This option needs to be the default for shared linking of both
applications and libraries on Debian systems.

--
Matthias Urlichs