HP unofficial support for Debian (Proliant servers) ?

Hello everybody,

I am just another Debian user, rather unexperienced, who uses HP x86
hardware (HP Proliant ML350G3 with hardware RAID). Please note that I
am not subscribed to debian-devel. I don't know if I ring the correct
door (If not so : sorry), but I don't see any other.

Briefly:

As HP seems to be the more Debian-friendly company but does not
support Debian officially, I am looking for HP employees in Debian to
e-mail with.

As far as I know, Debian is used internally in HP, so I wonder if the
HP-specific stuff packaged for RH, SuSE and UL exists in .deb
format. At least, I hope to gather enough comprehensive information
for a painless full-fonctionnality install on HP Proliant and share
this with the community on some web pages.

Also, I would like to know how to tell HP that some customers use
Debian and would like software in .deb format. Maybe I am naive :-)

Longer:

I would like to run woody (and sarge when it will be stable) on those
Proliant HP hardware with full-fonctionnality (fan management,
management software).

Thanks to Matt Taggart's mini-iso [1], woody can be easily installed
on HP Proliant (of course, you need to build your own custom kernel
after that). The problem now is to install the HP-specific stuff wich
is only supplied in RPM for RedHat, SuSE and United Linux.

I have talked with other french colleagues who have the same
problem. One had to switch to Mandrake on a HP cluster because of the
fan noise (fans at max speed all the time due to lack of hpasm
module), other tried alien like explained in [2] but did not
succeeded.

Some politic point of view : It seems that HP funds Debian,
hosts servers, employs DD. So to my
mind HP should reasonably help people who want to run Debian on their
hardware. I saw on DWN an announce in this way [3] but nothing
since then. Anyway.

So, I would like to have, if possible, infos or unofficial support
(tips or links on existing stuff) from people who know HP from the
inside (or close to) to eventually write a comprehensive web page for
people who want to run Debian on Proliant.

Any clue/tip/advice will help and will be warmly welcomed.

Refs:

[1] http://people.debian.org/~taggart/boot-floppies/
[2] http://www.sk-tech.net/support/HPrpm2deb.sh.html
[3] http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2003/51/

Cheers,

--
Emmanuel Halbwachs              Labo. de Photonique et Nanostructures
tel      : (+33)1 69 63 61 34                             CNRS UPR 20