Re: Building additional kernel drivers with Debian kernel-source

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 16:11, Stephen Cormier wrote:
> On August 14, 2004 10:59 am, Otto Wyss wrote:
> > DirectFB requires to build the kernel fusion driver from source. It
> > therefore needs a symlink "/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-k7/build" which
> > points to the right location in the the kernel tree. Neither
> > installing the appropriate kernel-header nor the kernel-source
> > package installs this symlink. How can I manually add this link?
> >
> > See
> > "http://www.directfb.org/mailinglists/directfb-dev/2004/08-2004/msg00
> >047 .html".
> >
> > O. Wyss
>
> I do seem to remember reading somewhere that you link the kernel headers
> directory to the build one so try ln
> -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.26-1-k7 /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-k7/build.

It is not a good idea to do that, because the machine you are building the kernel on doesn't have to be the same
machine, that the kernel-module is intended for.

You have the path to the needed kernel-source or kerne-headers in $(KSRC). Use it. Either
you need to modify DirectFB's makefile or specify the variable on make.

Like: $(MAKE) -C $(CURDIR) KERNELPATH=$(KSRC)

That requires of course, that the makefile is looking for the variable KERNELPATH and let that override the path
to the symlink instead.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen