Re: build, build-arch and build-indep targets in debian/rules

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:22:35AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> [Why is this on -devel? Has nothing to do there. M-f-t set]
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 07:22:14AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > in short (full rephrase below) I propose the following change to
> > debian-policy:
>
> Please read <http://bugs.debian.org/218893>, which was a previous
> proposal to address this issue, instead of coming up with one of
> yourself, out of the blue.

FWIW, my plan about #218893 is to issue another proposal in November,
which will change policy to implement what the buildd are doing, instead
of changing policy so that buildd can implement policy
(basically adding the requirement that having a Build-Depends-Indep
control field imply support the build-arch target.)

I would like to mention that:
1) Writing such proposal correctly is some work.

2) We are busy releasing so discussing that now seems a distraction, and
   policy is frozen anyway,

3) The common position of dpkg maintainers is not clear.

4) The fact that I issue a new proposal should not be taken as
   implying I prefer the new one over the (great) old ones.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.