Re: [OT] Re: debian culture

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 10:08, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) (cobaco@linux.be) [040803 09:38]:
> > >   anarchy
> > >        n : a state of lawlessness and disorder (usually resulting
> > > from a failure of government) [syn: {lawlessness}]
> > >
> > > either. there everyone has her own agenda and does what ever she
> > > sees fit. that results in confusion, corruption, loss of vision
> > > and selfishness.
> >
> > The above definition of anarchy is plain wrong, it should drop the "and
> > disorder" part:
>
> no, there were more, definitions, similar in content. try "dict
> anarchy" yourself. chances are that you do not mean anarchy but
> something else
see for instance :
http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Aanarchy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Anarchy
http://unless.freeshell.org/anarchy.html

> (it *is* the nature of anarchy to be undirected
> and threfor orderless). perhaps heaven, eden or paradise? (c:

undirected -> orderless is a false statement. To understand way that's so
take a look at for instance boids (or any other emergent system).

think of the difference between (military) discipline and self-discipline,
> People tend to use words in other contexts and with new meanings
> then what they meant originally. that way language evolves.
> *that* does not change the original thing words described or
> their nature.

nope, a lot of people just tend to take 'undirected = orderless' as a given
which is definately false. This fallacy is (IMHO) the reason so many
definitions of anarchy include the disorder/confusion part.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)