Re: ppc64 port

Cajus Pollmeier <cajus@debian.org> writes:

>> Am Mittwoch, 28. April 2004 01:09 schrieb Benjamin Herrenschmidt:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > Overall, we can go the gentoo way, and do a full 64 bits debian
>> > distribution independant from the 32 bits one, or we can simply do like
>> > other distributions do, and I think it makes some sense, is to have a
>> > biarch distribution.
>>
>> Not recompiling everything saves a lot of time - and potential trouble.
>> I've no deep knowledge of ppc64 interna, and if you'd say that it has no
>> major drawbacks I'm really fine with "just" trying to set up kernel,
>> binutils and certain *lib* packages.
>>
>> I found some information in
>> http://people.debian.org/~fmw/p630-LPAR-Debian-en.txt
>> about preparing an installation on p-series LPAR's.
>>
>> Will look into this...

Please check the debian-amd64 (or debian-devel) mailinglist looking
for "multiarch". The multiarch proposal from there is an unification
of the various biarch architectures and their biarch solutions into a
clean and consistent solution.

If you are intrested in improving ppc64 support in debian that would
be the team to join. The multiarch repository is currently amd64+i386
only but its trivial to add other archs to it if someone is willing to
compile and test.

After an initial bootstraping (kernel, binutils, glibc, gcc) for the
arch other people would be able to upgrade to it with dpkg.

MfG
        Goswin