Re: amd64 and sarge

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:03:57PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Several people already have voiced their wish to install a flash
> plugin for mozilla. That would mean installing a 32bit i386 mozilla
> even though we have a 64bit amd64 mozilla.

Yes.

> The need for choice is there. Your proposal would require mozilla for
> amd64 to be renamed mozilla-amd64. And all plugins need to be changed
> to have the right Build-Depends too. and so on for every other package
> that needs the choice.

That's easy to solve in my proposal.  Provide the flash support in a
package with i386 architecture (or install any other package which is
i386 architecture and depends on mozilla -- an empty locally created
package would work fine).  Dependency resolution will do the rest.

> > It's based on pure64 with simple changes to only a very small number of
> > packages (gcc toolchain, dpkg tools, and maybe a handful of others).

> Not possible for sarge and not feasable for sarge+1 (since multiarch
> will replace it the moment sarge is released anyway).

There are no conflicts between my proposal and the multiarch proposals
which I've read.

--
Raul