Re: My experience with debian

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 16.09, Lex Hider wrote:

> I would suggest that they would be installed on a fair majority of
> machines and it would be worth considering upgrading their
> priorities.

There is no need to guess - the popularity contest provides (very
rough!) data on how often a specific package is installed and used.

Changing the priority of certain packages is/was under discussion; one
idea was throwing gcc out of standard (which I would lile to see). I
haven't read the full discussion at that time and don't know how it
concluded, so before you bring it up again, be sure to read those
emails first. For small packages: I'm sure d-d could use a bit
*technical* debate instead of just flamewars :-)

But in the end it comes down to personal preference. Taking the packages
you mentioned:
> aptitude
I never use it
> sudo
Essential: yes :-)
> screen
used it in the past, but not so much recently.
> cdrecord
> mkisofs
I don't even have a CD burner...
> beep
Huh? PCs shouldn't annoy me!
> bzip2
Yep.
> eject
I use the CD-ROM about 2 or 3 time per year, so I'd probably not even
remember that there is a command. There is a button on the drive's
front, you know :-)
> wget
yep.
> discover
Never used it.

All in all, the priorities (except required) don't matter much for me,
since I always use a netinst image and just skip
aptitude/dselect/tasksel at installation, preferring instead to use
just apt-get at the cmdline.

[yes, I *know* aptitude can be used from the cmdline. Old habits...]

Enough for now
-- vbi

--
Could this mail be a fake? (Answer: No! - http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/intro)