Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

>> > This should be outside the scope of package management.  It's a build
>> > time decision, not a system configuration decision.
>
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 09:26:37PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Handling 64bit support for 32/64bit archs just like the cmove or mmx
>> feature of i386 is just wrong. They don't compare. You can't replace
>> the 32bit libc with the better 64bit libc, you need both.
>
> So you replace it with both.

That about doubles the size of library packages and every library
package containing both has to be patched to build both archs, i.e. to
build everything twice.

That means chaning at least all base libs. Yeah, lets pospone sarge
some more.

>> You are talking about completly different ld.so, opcodes, abis,
>> syscalls, parameter passing conventions, cpu features, size of types,
>> .... Not just a few extra opcodes.
>
> Your current system has both anyways, so this isn't a huge difference.

We have both, through the ia32-libs package. That means no big changes
to source packages and just one 'little' extra deb.

>> > [That said, if we want to support "build packages from source with custom
>> > options, that makes it viable to support this kind of fine control.
>> > Though there's likely to be some cost in user confusion.]
>>
>> multiarch could be used to create (very partial) i586, i686,
>> k7,... ports and have them transparently be used depending on the cpu
>> type. The biarch discussions had this in mind but it wasn't used for
>> the multiarch proposal. With multiarch you wouldn't be able to use the
>> i686 libc in place of the i386 libc. dpkg wouldn't undertsand that
>> they are the same ABI.
>
> So what does it mean to install an amd64 gcc on an m68k system?

amd64 wouldn't be in the list of compatible archs for m68k so normaly
you couldn't.

But apart from that it just means you have a useless amd64 gcc on your
disk.

A better example might be installing an i386 gcc on your powerpc.
You have to also install qemu and setup the binfmt misc to start i386
elf code through qemu and off you go. You can compile i386 code on
powerpc.

> --
> Raul

MfG