On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 11:44:06AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:

> Also, which are those packages?  At minimum, binutils, gcc and glibc need
> to support multiarch, and be built this way -- and that's mostly because
> gcc's cross compiling support is in such poor shape when contrasted
> with native compiling.  [And it's probably worth noting that multiarch
> doesn't seem to address cross compiling at all.]

>From what I understood of things, multiarch is supposed to make
cross compiling easier too.  There should be an
/usr/bin/$arch-$os for the toolchain binaries and /usr/include/$arch-os
for includes.

If the current proposols don't make it easier to cross compile
they should be changed to do so.

> Anyways, the big issue which I don't see being addressed (and the
> reason I'm still Cc-ing debian-devel) is: most packages in debian
> (everything which offers a shared lib) is going to have to be rebuilt
> to support multiarch.  Just about every single developer is going to
> have to support the idea, and rebuild their packages to this new standard.

To have a full multiarch system yes.  But you can start by only
having the base libraries be multiarch capable.  Only if you want
to install the libs for multiple arches it's required to be
changed.  Note that if you fully want to upgrade all your
binaries from i386 to amd64 you will need to install all the
required amd64 libs.  It could be that you can remove all the
i386 libs at the same time and that you can only require minimum
of libs that are multiarch capable.

>From what I understand it will require splitting the package in
atleast something that only provides the libs so that the
packages for different arches don't overlap.  And then depedent
on something that installs the copyright information and things
like that.  That one should be an arch all package.

It might also require some other changes to make it install the
libs in the right place.

Kurt