Mike Beattie <mjb@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 06:13:38AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> Indeed, this is a way to force a result. However, I wouldn't qualify it
>> a pet issue. The results of the vote will tell whether this is a pet
>> issue for all developers. The purpose of the GR is to ensure everyone is
>> working towards inclusion of amd64 - or at least, that no one will work
>> against it. If you're already working in this direction, why should you
>> feel attacked?
>
> Two comments. Firstly, I hope there will be no results to this vote, it's
> pathetic, and a waste of time. Second, I've never heard a worse case of
> "Putting words in someone's mouth", than that last sentence.
>
> James is *definitely* *not* working against including amd64 as you suggest,

How do you know? Please give some details if you know what james is
doing.

> He's just (justafiably, IMNSHO) getting a little tired of the continual
> whinging, moaning, and general childish behaviour from those trying to get
> what they want at any cost.
>
> It's a bit like those children that ask "Are we there yet?" every 60 seconds
> during a car trip. We've all been told that we'll hear about what's going to
> happen soon, so asking again and again will not make it get here any sooner.

Except that all the windows are blacked out, the car is noiseless
and we asked "are we driving yet?" since we cannot determine that
without an outside reference (which only the driver has) and get no
responce. Is there anything wrong pokeing the driver every now and
then to see if he has fallen asleep at the wheel?

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 12:03:01AM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>> > By not communicating, e.g.  not explaining why you're not doing $stuff,
>> > you're giving the impression that the reason is your incompetence, and
>> > people start insulting you.
>>
>> Have you considered the impression which is given by the insults?
>
> I think I've lost count of the number of times that I've seen some of the
> most valuable members of the Project state things along the lines of "Ugh,
> I *was* going to do some Debian stuff this evening". (Not to mention the
> ones that go a step further, and say "I've never been closer to leaving the
> project than now")

And it is very sad indeed when you ask those persons 'why?' and they
answere with 'James' more and more often.

> It's *this* that's the primary reason that asking repeatedly will slow down
> the inclusion. The incentive to work on Debian goes away when all you get
> are insults.

Is it unreasonable to ask a second time after a week of silence?

> Mike.

MfG
        Goswin