* Raul Miller (moth@debian.org) wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 08:50:22PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Yeah, sorry, not gonna be the way it works.  They need to be the same
> > place for packages to work w/o modification and to be LSB compliant.
>
> "packages to work w/o modification" sounds an awful lot like
> "without porting the packages".

That depends on if you understand what 'porting' means.  If you don't,
you could easily construe such a similarity.

> > Uh..  I could 921 binary packages currently *installed* on my system
> > that would need to be changed..
>
> I've got 620 on mine, but most of those don't matter.
>
> I mean, yeah, getting them all fixed would be nice, and not fixing them
> is ugly, but all that's really important are the libraries listed in LSB.
> For the rest, it's probably wise to treat this as a non-release critical
> bug.

I don't know of anyone else interested in this approach.  As such, I
doubt you will find anyone else willing to support you and this
minimal-amd64 solution.  pure64 is out there because that's what people
who were willing to do the work wanted, along with quite a few others.

> > I've heard counts of at *least* a
> > couple hundred source packages from other people (in case my method of
> > counting was less than perfect for some reason-
> > dpkg -S lib/*.so* usr/lib/*.so*| cut -f1 -d: | sort -u | wc -l ).
> > The change isn't always all that trivial either.  Though, regardless, it
> > would be duplicated work since it would have to be done for multiarch
> > again.
>
> Not if it's done right.

Perhaps, perhaps not.  There have been some good suggestions on ways to
avoid having to do it twice, and these are interesting things to
speculate about, but I certainly don't see anyone actually working on
implementing such a system.  Likely because, while it's interesting, it
doesn't actually matter, and would be much trickier than people like to
think.  Not only that, but you have the issue of moving forward, you
would have to educate every Debianer on the proper way to install
libraries, and believe me, if you've paid attention at all you'd see
that can be a *very* difficult task.

	Stephen