On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:18, Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> wrote:
> The most likely reason someone would pick the AMD64 architecture over
> the PowerPC architecture is that AMD64 can natively run I386 binaries.

Fast PPC systems are unreasonably expensive and most of them don't compete
well with i386 systems.

i386 systems are sold in bulk (low prices), and are assembled in a commodity
manner which gives a good variety of parts that can be used.  AMD64 is just
the next generation of i386 server CPUs.  Soon the 32bit Athlon and P4 CPUs
will go the same way as the K6 and the P2 and it'll be all 64bit from both
AMD and Intel.

Once CPUs capable of running the AMD64 instruction set are commonly available
a straight AMD64 system with no 32bit compatibility will be better than PPC
on the basis of price and features.