"D. Starner" <shalesller@writeme.com> writes:

>> If anyone thinks that trying to decide technical issues through voting
>> is a good idea, I pity them.
>
> Then we should phrase this in terms of firing the ftp-masters?
>
>> If anyone thinks "$foo doesn't communicate with $bar" == "$foo doesn't
>> communicate", they're being at best disingenuous.
>
> Branden communicates on debian-x. If he doesn't want to talk to
> Daniel Stone privately, that doesn't mean that Daniel Stone can't
> communicate to the X Strike Force. There is no mailing list to
> communicate with you, and it is unacceptable for a developer to have
> no means to communicate with the ftp master.
>
>> I will not be blackmailed into doing things for people who have public
>> tantrums to try and force stuff through.  In fact, it'll very much
>> encourage me to not work on whatever it is they're whining about.

James:

You (+the rest of ftp-master) have been asked without a tantrum
for about 3 month now without any official reaction.

You didn't not react to amd64 the last 3 month because someone is
throwing a tantrum, but someone is throwing a tantrum now because you
didn't react the last 3 month.

Maybe throwing a tantrum isn't the best but its born out of
frustration and as shown repeadately every 3 month or so it is the
only way for a growing group of people (DDs and non DDs) to get any
kind of reaction from you.

> So you are making my life harder and degrading Debian for purely
> petty reasons. Thanks; really appreciate it.

> Before it's in Debian, AMD64 is already the fourth most commonly
> used architecture according to popularity-contest. There's only
> three architectures sold in stores to the average person--ix86,
> PowerPC and AMD64. 95% of the packages are already compiled for
> AMD64. There is no technical reason not to add it into unstable.

Starner:

Tonight it is 98%, which is more than all !i386 archs. But it
fluctuates every day.

On top of that 60 packages (25% of all unbuild packages) are java
releated packages from contrib that nobody has cared to build yet
but which are binary-all.

And another ~100 packages have general FTBFS errors (like the changed
python packaging situation) or policy violations (like -fPIC not being
used) that showed up when rebuilding sid [which is to say that many
amd64 failed packages also FTBFS on other archs].

> If AMD64 is being held up soley for petty reasons, then this vote
> isn't about technical issues, it's about political issues.

MfG
        Goswin