Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 02:43:59PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> Furthermore, the AMD64 architecture is mostly ready. It now builds just
>> as many packages as our other release architectures, and it has a
>> working installer.
>
> Judging from conversation on debian-glibc, it sounds like AMD64 really
> wants to use gcc 3.4, which is not tenable for sarge because it involves
> an API change (see Matthias Klose's recent mail to debian-release and
> debian-glibc). Can you explain how critical this is to the port?

The pure64 port decided against using gcc-3.4 some month back becuse
we wanted to use only what is in sid (excatly so that inclusion in sid
and maybe sarge stays possible). Some people are recompiling all of
sid with gcc-3.4 now to see how feasable using it is and it would be
greatly welcome. But nearly everything so far works with
gcc-3.3.

gcc-3.4 might be prefereable but in no way required for amd64.

MfG
        Goswin