Re: My experience with debian

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 09:50:06AM +0200, Christer Solskogen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> What I`m going to talk about is my experience with debian. Maybe call it a
> "Debian vs. FreeBSD" kind of thing.
> First i must say i love to use FreeBSD. I love it because it has a lot of
> "ports"(or packages), and it has a base-system. A basesystem containing
> gcc, bsdmake, bind, top and such tools, and of course the kernel.
> One of the  greatest thing about the base-system is that is it not
> possible to uninstall it.

Oh, that's "great"? I agree that it's good that you can't uninstall a
base system, but have you ever taken a look at the size of FreeBSD's
base system? I personally don't always need a system with bind, top,
gcc, bsdmake, an MTA, and whatnot; I'd love it if they could be removed.
Alas, that's impossible.

> You can delete it my using 'rm' but you cant do
> a pkg_delete base_system, or something. This is a good thing. For FreeBSD.
> Debian, on the other hand, does not have this feature. In Debian you /can/
> (even if it is goddamn stupid!) uninstall everything.

No, that's not true.

wouter@worldmusic:~$ sudo dpkg --purge sysvinit
dpkg: error processing sysvinit (--purge):
 This is an essential package - it should not be removed.
 sysvinit

It is impossible to remove from a Debian system those packages you would
need to install additional packages, and a subset of the packages that
are absolutely required to boot.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks