Re: [Fwd: [Discuss] Debconf as an administration tool]

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:55:20 +1000, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> said:

> Comments appreciated.  -----Forwarded Message-----
>> From: Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com> To:
>> discuss@lists.userlinux.com Subject: [Discuss] Debconf as an
>> administration tool Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:50:16 -0700
>>
>> As far as I understand this, not having investigated in great
>> depth:
>>
>> 1. Debconf can configure most anything that is set up by a Debian
>> package to the point that it works. But some more detailed
>> configuration is not done through it.

	Umm. Debconf is just a means of interacting with the user --
 it does not parse, or write, any configuration files by itself. The
 maintainer scripts do all the heavy lifting.

>> 5. Debconf is currently set up to administer one system at a time.
>> Currently it doesn't do clusters.

	You mean the maintainer scripts.

>> 6. Some Debian developers have resisted making Debconf into more of
>>    a generalized system configuration tool, for reasons unclear to me.

	The reasons shall become clearer when you look into what
 debconf actually is.

>> > The problem is that an increasing number of configuration files
>> > in Debian are preceeded by a comment saying something like 'Do
>> > not under any circumstances edit this file by hand, use [program
>> > x] instead.'  And of course Webmin and other third party tools
>> > are not going to observe that directive (unless the Webmin
>> > package maintainer is practically rewriting it), which may cause
>> > problems.

	This is a bug in that package.

	manoj

--
Pilfering Treasury property is paticularly dangerous: big thieves are
ruthless in punishing little thieves. Diogenes