binutils-multiarch in view of dpkg-cross/README.Debian.gz?

  On one hand, dpkg-cross/README.Debian.gz says the following:

             for most other binutils, it is convenient to have them
    multi-architectural. Just type size, objdump, or whatever you like,
    without caring about the architecture... But in two cases, this
    luxury isn't possible: 'as' and 'ar' have to built singly for the
    target architecture.

On the other hand, binutils-multiarch installs

addr2line  ar  gprof  nm  objcopy  objdump  ranlib  readelf  size  strings  strip

  Is there a relation between the files that dpkg-cross/README.Debian.gz
mentions and the one that binutils-multiarch install? What about as and ar?

--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I