Re: a forth release?

Helmut Wollmersdorfer <helmut.wollmersdorfer@gmx.at> wrote:

> Frank Küster schrieb:
>> Only
>> then (and if it's a real bug) can we check the versions it applies to,
>> and tag the bug accordingly.
>
> Maybe the "bug administration" should be improved. A bug report
> without exact description of
> - version
> - misbehaviour
> - awaited result
> is useless in nearly all cases.
> In commercial projects I - in my role as (senior-)tester - would never
> accept an unclear report. It is a good practice, that somebody
> "skilled" checks "submitted" reports if
> - description is sufficient
> - reproducable
> - bug or not
> - wish, change request or not
> Result of the check is severity, decision bug versus wish, and
> switched state to "released" (or closed, duplicated, request for
> additional information). Only released bugs are real bugs.

You're wellcome to join our team as "somebody", I'll be the "senior
tester". The problem is you won't (and I cannot blame you for that), and
that there ain't enough other people. I plan to do some advertising and
attract some intested TeXnicians to help us with this, it's also a good
thing to learn more TeX. But I have deferred this until after sarge's
release and the transition to tetex-3.0, because I think after that
development will be calmer and newbies can enter the team easier.

>> Usually this won't happen until the next bug report drops in, also
>> unclear, and also with unsufficient info to tag it with a version.
>
> See above - it is not bug.

You don't mean that a release critical bug is not important -- just
because the one who encountered it doesn't know enough about the system
to make a good bug report, and because the maintainers currently don't
have time to interact with the reporter?

>> I really don't think "bug reports in the last n months" is
>> an adequate criterion for the quality of a package.
>
> ACK.
> But what should the criterion be?

Nothing. I don't believe "candidate" will help us release faster. It
will only help us to discuss more.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie