Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 01:26:59PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> > maybe most recent suggestions about the future of X in debian should
> > involve a discussion about the policy for X maintaince.
>
> Apparently we did not send enough signals about this subject:
>
> "Everybody is part of the XSF"
>
> starting from our users to Branden and me as last.
>
> What is not clear about this concept?

So call the group of people who can upload X something else.

The XSF to me is meaningless as a concept - the BTS is world-write[0],
and the really important X group are the gatekeepers to Debian - being
yourself, Branden, and possibly Ishikawa. Let's call this group the DUX
- Debian X Uploaders.

If you think what I'm saying is stupid, then you're a master hacker on
KDE, the Linux kernel, FreeBSD, Gentoo ...

> > as a consequence, current 'x strike force' should undergo a radical
> > change, to disponse of any hierachy in this developing group.
>
> Probably if you did not notice yet, the users are on top of everything.
> They decide, some of them contributes directly, Branden and I prioritize
> the work, review, test and commit. Upload as last.
>
> Can you spot please what is wrong with it?

If I decide and propose something, will you upload it tomorrow?

The reality is that you guys make decisions -- good or bad -- and have
the final say on what hits Debian, as it stands. This is not necessarily
a bad thing, but it's far away from the Utopia you paint where everyone
can do everything.

> Remember that until now neither Branden or me have made any suggestion of
> where Debian should go. We are only listening and talking with people.
> How can you perceive this as a need to revert how things are working?

I was going to say because it didn't include me, but then I realised
that I wouldn't want to go to any club that would take me as a member,
or whatever the Spike Milligan quote is. ;)

> > all this assuming that it is required to be member for uploading parts
> > of X, regardless what upstrem tree. but if policy is that way, maybe
> > this question also needs to be discussed a second time.
>
> Having only five or six people with SVN commit access does not mean that
> others cannot contribute. If you feel that this is wrong, please explain
> us why.

I cannot contribute effectively, and I also feel that I cannot work
within the XSF, while the SABDFL continues to feel he cannot work with
me, and very rarely communicates with me. I have been actively removed
from the DUX, and thus from X maintainence. That's why I can't
contribute.

[0]: Well, @gFH excluded. It's world-write in the same way debian-x is.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>