Re: [RANT] French translation for debconf templates stucked at 90% : analysis

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Christian Perrier wrote:

> > Some of you guys take care of them...and after a few
> > days upload a new version with the updated templates.
> > Thanks to you, you're by chance the majority.
>
> I do not think this is a good thing. Packages with updated
> templates should be uploaded in time for the release, but
> IMO doing a new upload only because of the translations
> wastes bandwidth and buildds time.

It may use bandwidth and time, but translations should also
have time to be tested.  And as long as we work with the
current system, where translations are distributed as an
integrated part of the packages they belong to, that means
that updated translations should mean an updated package
too.

If localization objects (translations, etc.) were handled as
separate add-ons to the actual packages (with one
localization package per package per language), then the
cost in bandwidth and time could be reduced.  But there
seems to be general agreement that the large number of
localization packages (~ 30 times the current number of
packages) would make the overall cost of such a change too
large.

Greetings,

Jacob (who doesn't like the current solution either)
--
»But you have to be a bit wary of a ship that collects
 snowflakes.«                                  -- Diziet Sma