Re: Proposed changes to the policy (Was: My suggestions)

Peter Novodvorsky wrote:

Victor,

Victor Nazarov <vir@comtv.ru> writes:

-snip-
The first is the naming scheme of the debian packages. Debian uses
names that consists of several parts separated with `-' charecter. I
can suggest to use / as a sepparator and to store apt database as a
directory tree.
The following files must be stored in the /var/lib/apt/packages for
instance:
xfce4/core
xfce4/wm
so to install smth administrator must point an apt utility to the file
under this directory. I think it's more comfortable to use such tree
rather then use apt-cache search apt-get install combination

I see no advantage of proposed scheme over the current one. If you
want completions for package names you can use zsh or bash with
completions and dont mess with apt-cache search. If you want to do
grep, you can do it by grepping Packages file or grep-dctrl.

May be you are right, but I think packages require more organization anyway.

- snip -

This suggestion looks like proposal of transition to another type of
filesystem like reiserfs4. Implementing such features in userspace
seem crazy.

I'm totally agree with you but... Users need it... And It's partly implemented in Debian-Menu system and by Gnome project.

The next... Unix have a good file permisions managment system, but now
only root can manage the acces to files. But I think normal users must
have right to manage the access to files owned/created by them. The
-snip-

This is also filesystem feature, not debian one. Modern filesystems
have POSIX acl support in Linux[1] that should fulfil your requests.

-snip-

Peter.

Acls is not what I want. I just want to permit normal users to create groups. I don't think this is a filesystem feature, Unix filesystem and kernel provides per user permitions managment since the creation, the only barier is a minimalistic login tools with /etc/passwd, /etc/group files. My scheme is totally backward compatible, why not to implement it?

--
vir