Problem with dependency handling in debian (driving me crazy!)

Hi!

I would like to make some suggestions/comments (any answers allowed) about the dependency handling in Debian:

+ There should not be "hard" conflicts between packages wich provides the same service, for example: If I'm deciding wich MTA use (exim, postfix, qmail, any other compiled from source code), I can only install one of them at the time, no matter that there are not files conflicting between them, I should be able to install all of them, if I wanted to, and only enable one at the time (and anyway, what if I want to have three of them on different ports?, it should be my problem, off course, there should be a warning (to save us from newbies on *nix systems)). + Same for: heimdal-servers and ANY ftp server that I wanted to use, I needed heimdal-servers-x, but it depended on heimdal-servers, wich provided ftp-server, but I did wanted to use vsftpd, I saw the packages and there where not conflicting files. + When I want to install a php-based software, like phpldapadmin, it (almost always) depends on php4, wich depends on apache (1.3.x), but I want to use apache2, then: I have to install phpldapadmin (or any other) from .tar.gz, not the debian package. I know, this one is harder: I think that it should suggest them, not depends on, and, when finished the install of the package, do a pause and say where it installed it, or wich line should I add to the httpd.conf (just to save time), or maybe ask you for your httpd.conf (with a reasonable default), and give you the option to change it.

Anyway, It's driving me crazy, I use aptitude, but even with the option "Automatically fix broken packages before installing or removing", it just ask me, and if I say "No", it just don't install anything. I tried dselect, and it's not much better.

Maybe there is another way, somthing I can use to "see" the list of avaible packages, search through it, and install whatever I want, with only a warning when what I do "could" cause a broken package, but letting me do it anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Sincerely,

Ildefonso Camargo
icamargo@merkurio.com.ve