package building problem after configure.in change

Hi all,

 I have a package, which is compiled fine, so I can produce the correct
binary packages out of it. However I need to tweak configure.in as there
is a little error in the upstream version: I can not disable a feature
from configure. Mainly the change is:
AC_ARG_ENABLE(sqlite, [  --enable-sqlite          Enable SQLite disk
	catalog support], enable_sqlite="yes", enable_sqlite="no")
to this:
AC_ARG_ENABLE(sqlite, [  --enable-sqlite          Enable SQLite disk
	catalog support], enable_sqlite="$enablevar", enable_sqlite="no")

I issued autoconf, and tested the configure script. It is fixed by now,
I can enable and disable the feature. But now when I issue make, I get
this immediately:
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/work/cdw-0.2.3/debian/build-tree/cdw'
cd /root/work/cdw-0.2.3 && aclocal -I @ac_aux_dir@
aclocal: couldn't open directory `@ac_aux_dir@': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [/root/work/cdw-0.2.3/aclocal.m4] Error 2

What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it?
Any pointers are appreciated,
Laszlo/GCS