Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 12:34:24PM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> The current release policy says that all firmware not licensed under
> GPL-compatible licenses needs to be removed. It also says that any
> sourceless firmware needs to be removed.
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2004/06/msg00064.html
> Depending on the outcome of GRs, it might change so that only the former
> class has to be removed.
> Either way, firmware not licensed under a GPL-compatible license needs
> to be removed.

I could use some clarification as to which of those GR's are pending
and which are already requirements.

Also, this discussion seems to be more far-reaching than that, so it's
not clear to me what the connection is between this discussion and
those GR's or that the conclusion is limited to debian GR's. Some kind
of jointly-written "summarized findings" or similar thing may help me
decide what to do.

I'm getting a different story from every single person I talk to, so
something resembling an authoritative answer would be very helpful.

-- wli