Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 04:41:42PM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
> http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise6.html discusses the
> differences between derivative works and compilations, and quotes a
> congressional report that elaborates:
> See also http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.html, which remarks
> both that the whole of the derivative work must represent an original
> work of authorship, rather than an arrangement of distinct works, and
> that mechanical (non-creative, ergo non-copyrightable) transformation
> of the original does not make a derivative.

Ok, this is good -- I did not know that.

However -- by this definition, the linux kernel is very definitely a
derivative work, and the firmware is content which has been incorporated
into the kernel.

According to what you just cited, the concept of a collective work
doesn't enter into the picture at all.

--
Raul