Re: -rpath and policy?

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 01:31:38PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:
> > It doesn't seem to be Debian policy not to use -rpath. I can't find
> > a single reference to it in the document.
> >
> > Is this intentional?
>
> Anything that uses -rpath will break in sarge+1 when/if multiarch is
> introduced.

Not that I'm a great fan of -rpath, but I don't see why that should be
true in this case. Multiarch will require keeping compatibility library
symlinks around for some time in order to keep compatibility with other
distributions, and when it comes time to change the PI the application
will have to be recompiled anyway.