Re: /etc/hosts: Two lines with the same IP address?

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 02:12, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> I think i can fix that in hostname, by looking at the first entry in the
> aliases which is not "localhost" and which has dots. and if there is none
> with dots then use the first which is not localhost, and only of none found,
> allow localhost to be returned. That would remove the requirement of
> multiple 127.0.0.1 lines.

I don't think that changing the hostname command is the right way to go.

Marc Haber wrote:
> This is what somebody suggested on IRC. I have configured localhost to
> be 127.0.0.1, and hostname and fqdn to 127.0.1.1. Which hasn't shown
> any bad effects yet.

This is the best idea so far, provided it works.  Anyone see any problem
with it

If not, should the installer therefore write the initial /etc/hosts file
as follows?

If the machine lacks a static IP address and domain name:

    127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
    127.0.1.1   pingo

If the machine has static IP address 10.1.2.3:

    127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
    10.1.2.3    pingo

If the machine has static IP address 10.1.2.3 and domain name
'pingodom':

    127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
    10.1.2.3    pingo.pingodom	pingo

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk>