Bug#253359: general: Possible problems when setting of Cyrus-Imap
Version: N/A; reported 2004-06-08
-- System Information
Debian Release: 3.0
Kernel: Linux salami 2.4.26-linode28-1um #1 Tue May 18 16:32:46 EDT 2004 i686
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C
When setting up cyrus-imap i ran accross some issues. Here are my notes. I'm noit really expecting a response, as
it's not much of a bug report, as "worked for me, hope this helps".
1) pwcheck does not run.
tail -f /var/log/auth.log
..... pwcheck: /var/run/pwcheck/pwcheck: No such file or directory
To resolve, I followed newgroup ideas. ln -s /var/state/pwcheck /var/run
2) In sendmail /usr/share/sendmail/update_tls reports that -rand should be used. Ths was caused by the running of
openssl. Somehow, perhaps, a file of random (from /dev/urandom?) could be supplied.
3) After installing cyrus, sendmail should be reconfigured with MAILER(cyrus).
4) As specified in /usr/share/doc/cyrus-common/install.txt.gz:
8. LINUX SYSTEMS ONLY: Set the configuration, user, quota, and
partition directories to update synchronously. Failure to do this
may lead to data corruption and/or loss of mail after a system
chattr +S . user quota
chattr +S /var/spool/imap
Also set the queue directory of the mail daemon to update
synchronously. The following example is for sendmail:
/sbin/chattr +S /var/spool/mqueue
5) As specified in /usr/share/doc/cyrus-common/install.txt.gz:
3. The Cyrus IMAP server uses the 4.3BSD syslog that separates
messages into both levels and categories. Invoke "man syslog" to
see if "openlog()" takes three arguments. If it does not, replace
the system "syslogd" and "syslog.conf" with the files provided in
the cyrus-imapd-1.5.14/syslog directory.
mv syslogd /etc/syslogd
mv syslog.conf /etc/syslog.conf
If you do not copy the "syslog.conf" file in
"cyrus-imapd-1.5.14/syslog" to the "/etc" directory, be sure to add
support for "local6.debug". The file should include a line like:
Create the imapd.log file:
Perhaps the syslog entry should be made by default.