Re: fighting spam || avoiding spam

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 11:29:01PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
>> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Colin Watson wrote:
>>> This sort of thing is particularly noticeable in the GNU Arch list
>>> archives too, and makes it almost impossible to follow posts there
>>> that contain any archive names.
>> We could obfuscate just the email addresses in From: fields. Just
>> because there are many ways to do it wrong does not mean it may not
>> be done right.
> Considering that lots of people include their e-mail address in
> their .signature, I see no reason why that would reduce the level of
> invective directed at us.

Also, simple obfuscation, like replacing user@domain by
user-at-domain, won't help as spammers seem to try random combinations
of words and stuff that looks like a domain name.  My reject logs are
full of strange addresses.
E.g. I see combinations of Colin's, Santiago's and Andrew's usernames
with @blackdown.de:

/var/log/exim4/rejectlog.18.gz:2004-05-18 15:19:48 H=bufferz9.loxinfo.co.th (bufferz6.loxinfo.co.th) [] F=<> rejected RCPT <cjwatson@blackdown.de>: Unrouteable address
/var/log/exim4/rejectlog.1:2004-06-05 01:51:33 H=mail.lani.net [] F=<> rejected RCPT <sanvila@blackdown.de>: Unrouteable address
/var/log/exim4/rejectlog.1:2004-06-04 20:11:38 H=img10.ppi.net [] F=<> rejected RCPT <asuffield@blackdown.de>: Unrouteable address

Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team