Re: libpkg-guide updated (versioned symbols), please proofread

* Bernhard R. Link (blink@informatik.uni-freiburg.de) wrote:
> * Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> [040601 22:53]:
> > -dev packages should *NOT* depend on other -dev packages unless their
> > public .h files #include files from those other -dev packages (which
> > generally shouldn't be the case).  That whole crap was due to the lack
> > of understanding of the problem and blindness to the proper solution
> > (versioned symbols).
>
> I agree that versioned symbols should be more often used, but one should
> note that there are problems not solved by versioned symbols. Libraries
> should not pass data structures of other libraries through and do other
> ugly things like this, but this might still happen somewhere, so one
> should be cautious.

Sure, that's not an issue solved by versioned symbols.  That's also not
an issue that's solved by having extra Depends for -dev packages, or
even one solved by including the SONAME in the -dev package name
(at least, only so well as the SONAME matches the API but that's a
bigger issue beyond just data structures and I mentioned it previously).
I agree that people should be cautious, certainly.

	Stephen