Re: "A" build-depends on "B"'s source: what to do

>   > > Executive summary: Package "B" requires a configured copy of package
>   > > "A"'s source tree in order to build itself.  I'm proposing to split
>   >
>   > Clint Adams:
>   >
>   > Sounds like an upstream bug in either Package "A" or Package "B",
>   > and effort would better be expended fixing that rather than creating
>   > kludge packages.
>
>   mdz:
>
>   I agree; if the source is needed to build additional components, it should
>   be exported.

I don't understand what you mean by "exported" here.  It sounds almost
like you're both agreeing and disagreeing with my original plan.
Sorry if I'm being dense.  Could you clarify a bit? :-)

My original assertion was that this was the result of a problem with
xerces (i.e., the xerces public interface or installation was such
that it overly encouraged this kind of thing), but I had proposed a
workaround to support more convenient building of other packages since
this seems like an easy and relatively cheap fix.  What I'm hearing is
that we shouldn't kludge around in the debian packaging to cover up a
deficiency in the upstream packaging.  Is this what you mean?  If so,
this is exactly the kind of input I was looking for.  If not, then I'm
not following the argument.

Right now, I'll plan on not creating the -source and -config packages
but just leaving things the way they are and tagging the bug as
"wontfix" with this explanation.  Thanks!

--Jay