Re: Spam in the lists out of control

Am 2004-05-11 14:11:06, schrieb Marek Habersack:
>On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 10:49:47AM +0200, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo scribbled:
>[snip]

>> It's not so easy. In fact checking GPG signatures when fetchmail
>> downloads mails will kill my machine.
>You don't have to do it when fetchmail is fetching them, I suppose. It could
>as well be done in your MUA, I think.

I think, he was meaning, if he fetch the mail and check it for example
from the ~/.procmailrc gpg eats up all resources !!!

I have done this tooo on a PII/233 with 128 MByte memory...
But additional 'spamassassin' (bayesian) and 'f-prot'  ;-)

They need for a 512kBit ADSL an PII/500 with 256 MByte minimum
if I get around 200 Messages in one time. Now I check the 176
Mailboxex continously ! and it works quiet well, but if I have
a Line-Drop for some hours... I run in trouble !

>> Right now after night I have to download about 200 mails. Bayesian
>> filtering + procmail takes my machine about 10-15 minutes to sort out
>> this. With GPG signatures I will have to get up one hour earlier ;)
>May I ask why aren't you filtering on your server?

I have a dedicated $HOME Server which run 24/7 with nfs-user-server,
samba, netatalk, apache, proftpd, ssh, courier-(imap,mta,webadmin)

Maybe a little bit to much for a PII/233 with 128 MBytes

But it works generaly very fine... No problems with my 5 Workststions.

>> Yes but there are less or more complicated filtering solutions.
>> Sure I can write very complicated rules for procmail + bogofilter
>> + spamassasin + gnupg checks + <put whatever you want>, but hey... every
>> check needs CPU power and harddrive access.
>You got that right, the programs you listed above can take all of your CPU,
>indeed :) But how about integrating PGP/GPG checking (not necessarily with
>gnupg) inside the spam filter? And rather not one written in Perl?

Hmmm, i get per day between 3000 and 3500 Messages on my FileServer
with around 100 $USER and 176 Mailaccounts (fetched)

Now I cycle the fetching central from the first E-Mail to the last
and then it begins new...

Which mean, that I get all 30 seconds a message !!!

This works very fine with

fetchmail -> procmail -> spamassassin (bayesian) -> f-prot -> gpg

The load on my FileServer is around 0.8 to 3.5

>> That looks interesting. Thanks for pointing it out to me.
>I can certify it works well - my boss is subscribed to as many mailing lists
>as I am, and yet he receives 1 (_one_) spam/week on average.

'spamassassin' find all SPAM's too.

>> Yes... but this worked perfectly so far... Mail mentioned by me was the
>> *first* GPG signed spam I ever seen ;)
>Do you have a pristine copy of the message perhaps?

AFAIK checkinf for singned Messages can only be done on lists like
debian-devel or somting like this. not on debian-user* or debian-laptop
because they are to much beginnes which do not know how to do it.

I think, making the "professional" lists to subscribers only will be
the best. I think all persons in this List know very well, how to use
debian and gnupg ;-)

>regards,
>
>marek

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi